Volunteer to work with our students
We seek Australian conversationalist volunteers to help international students improve their confidence and practice their listening and fluency in speaking English.
Conversationalists actively engage with students in conversations on a range of topics. The sessions are held in various forms, including a Conversation Club where sessions are fast paced with regular swapping of partners within the hour session, picnics with games, cooking classes or other interactive activities.
The sessions are led by an ICTE-UQ team member and are designed to be fun and interactive.
Each session is held once a week for 1 hour in the Sir Llew Edwards Building (Bldg 14). See the sign up form for the individual dates of the sessions.
UQ Employability Advantage Award participants
If you are participating in the UQ Employability Advantage Award program, your volunteer hours will count toward your record.
Who should volunteer?
UQ students who are passionate about helping others and interested in learning about other cultures and social interests. You could be any age with a background in any area of study or employment.
- learn more about other cultures, and it will help you become a sought-after and more effective graduate
- add experience to your CV
- gain greater awareness of your own culture
- increase awareness of how to effectively communicate when there is a barrier to communication
- encourage and support members within small groups
- enhance your relations to student experiences
- make lasting friendships.
Are you eligible?
To join the ICTE-UQ's Mates program you must:
- have good spoken and written English
- have a GPA of 4.0 and achieved at least 4.0 in the previous semester
- have completed at least one semester at UQ (full time or equivalent)
- be at least 18 years old at the start of your participation in the Program.