A home away from home

Adi Aldhali, from Saudi Arabia, completed a General English program at the Institute for Continuing & TESOL Education at The University of Queensland (ICTE-UQ) in 2016 and shares his experience living with a homestay family during his ten weeks of study.

First about my arrival day. It was flexible. I changed it two times and she (my homestay host Dorothy) was ok with that and before I came she tried to contact me by email and Whatsapp and that was great to build a good and comfortable relationship. 

Adi Aldhali, homestay student

I arrived at the afternoon and she was having a birthday party for her grandchild and she asked me if I wanted to go. It was a good start for my 10 weeks because I went and it was great to learn some new culture. 

My first month was Ramadan in our calendar and that means I have to fast in the day time and eating when the sun sets. Dorothy was so flexible on the meal time and she had changed her routine for me.

We have a tradition to have a celebration after we finish this month, so she made feel as in my home because she gathered all her family and celebrate with me.

And I don't want to forgot about my birthday.  She gave a gift and that was nice of her.

Dorothy is open-minded and that is very important for such situation because she has to deal with different people from different countries, cultures, languages, genders, because of that she made my stay easy. 

And I felt like one of her family. She let me involved in many local activity, which is things that is difficult to do without one of the local people. 

The home was convenient and in good location although it took me 35 - 45 min by bus to reach school and more for city centre but I think this is in all the homestay and it is consider normal.

Last thing, is about my last days there. Dorothy was so helpful when I was buying some gift to my family and she took me to Mount-Cootha to have last dinner there with the family.

The most important thing for any student is there was no rules that made me hate living in homestay.

Find out more about ICTE-UQ’s homestay accommodation for students or becoming a homestay host.

12 January 2017