We have detected you are using a machine at UQ and you do not currently have an active Internet Session. Any externally hosted content will not appear unless you have an active Internet session. Please create an Internet session by going to https://login.uq.edu.au

Japanese students look back on their experience

Our Japanese students have been learning to blog as part of their studies at ICTE-UQ. Here are some of their final reflections on what was important and how the experience has changed them.  

From Haruka's blog

... I decided not to eat lunch together with Japanese people and to use English as much as possible. Moreover, I always keep in mind that "time is money", that is to say, trying to join any activities and make many friends in order not to make boring time.  As a result, I've got many precious friends, satisfying time and higher English skill which isn't sophisticated though.  To reach my goal, I struggled many times and hit the brick wall.  Eventually, I wanted to go back to Japan. 

However, my lovely friends and host family always supported me sincerely and I could overcome the difficulties.  How lucky I am.  Words cannot describe how I appreciate what they've done for me and love them.

group shot of class
Haruka's class

I'll never forget what I obtained and learned through this study abroad.  I mean, I learned not only about study but also precious things in my life.  All of my experience in Australia broadened my horizons for the future.  ICTE-UQ, Brisbane and Australia are the best choice ever.  I really appreciate to those who are related to me from the bottom of my heart.  They made my study abroad awesome. 

Originally published on Harukainbrisbane, 19 November 2016 

From Ryunoshuke's blog

I have visited some beautiful places. The most impressive one was my homestay father’s brother’s place which is the outback, so-called the bush, of Australia. He owns his property out there

It is his house. There are no houses around. It just has the specious grass field, his reservoir and cattle. I stayed there for 2 days and I saw the sunrise which was breathtaking....

The most precious experience I had in Australia was making and talking with friends from different countries and cultures. That is, I have become open-minded.
Originally published on Bobby (Ryunosuke)'s blog, 2 December 2016

From Shinya's blog

Now, you know, most of us started to work in a real workplace so I understand we are facing one of the hardest moments that we have ever experienced in Australia.  For me, I'm working at a Hotel called Adina in front of the Central Station as a receptionist.  It is much harder than I expected.  But I hope this is the biggest chance to get better at English ...

students in front of UQ entrance
At the main entrance to UQ

Basically, I'm shy. You know, I like new people to talk to me positively so it took a long time for me to be active enough to make friends.  Even now I sometimes envy my friends who have loads of foreign friends...   Technically, I should have made native speakers' friend to practice my English skill lol  But I don't need many.  One or two is enough for me.

Originally published on shinyainbrisbane.blogspot.com, 19 November 2016

From Aoi's blog

I found it’s really difficult for ICTE students, at least for me to make UQ friends, because simply we don’t really have opportunities to meet, and it’s difficult to hang around with them because of my broken English. I think myself I’m too modest? But seriously I used to be too nervous to speak English with UQ students, so I didn’t even try.

But I rethought – hang on, I’m hanging around with only Japanese friends, what am I doing in Australia all the way from Japan?? Since then I was reborn aha To immerse myself in English, I started joining the dance club...

Dance club group
UQ  Street Groove - dance classes for UQ students

Eventually I made heaps of friends from UQ, who don’t want to let me go. Little did I imagine that I could have such lovely mates, but yeah that’s what I’ve wanted. I want to be proud of me for taking the action. If I didn’t, my life in Aus won’t be the same, that must be super boring. So yeah what I wanna say is the person who changes my life is always me myself and I^^

Originally published on Aoi's blog, 5 December 2016.

From Taichi's blog

There are two main remarkable contrasts between English education in Australia and Japan.  First of all, what is the biggest difference is that English education in Japan focuses on especially grammar, while it pays attention to speaking in Australia.  In japan, students tend to learn English passively.  

However, in ICTE, students can study it actively.  For example, my teacher often asks me some questions related to reading, writing and listening in the class and I also often answer her questions.  If I mistake in this conversation, my teacher tells me mistakes and teaches me some useful expressions.  This gives us the confidence to speak English in front of my classmates. 

students on the beach
Having fun in Cairns

In Japan, almost all classes are consisted of only Japanese people so it is very difficult to talk with foreign students.  On the other hand, in ICTE, all classes include many different nationalities such as Columbian, Chinese, and Saudi Arabian etc.  Therefore, this enables me to study not only English but also other countries’ culture like music and food through conversation. 

Originally published on Taichi's blog, 24 June 2016

12 January 2017