My Homestay feels like home

ICTE-UQ English language student Gisela, from Mexico, is currently studying at ICTE-UQ for 30-weeks. This week Gisela, shares her experience in staying in ICTE-UQ Homestay. 

If you are planning to come to Australia, a great idea is to stay in a homestay with an Australian family. In my experience, this is the most convenient way to learn about the culture. Not only can you know about their lifestyle, but also you can share your culture with them. Quickly, you feel like at home.

Stay in a homestay; it is useful for your English because you can practice in real situations and with native-English speakers. Every day, my host family helped me to gain more vocabulary to express myself properly. As part of this, when I had a doubt of something, they were so patient to explain everything to me.

They let me be involved in many local activities. For instance, more than once I watched the National Rugby League matches with my host family, and I learnt that is one of the passions of the Australians. 

Besides this, we went hiking to Mount Coot-Tha which has a fantastic view of Brisbane. We also went to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which is an amazing zoo. In Lone Pine, I met a lot of species that you can just see in Australia. Moreover, I fed kangaroos. That has been one of my favourite experiences here in Australia.  

Finally, we went camping to Binna Burra, that was a fantastic weekend. Once there, we did some amusing activities like playing some games, turn the wood fire on and cooking your meals. At night, we had a great time telling stories.  My host family love to spend their time outdoors, and they let me know a little bit more about Australia in funny and interesting ways.

Find out more about Homestay at ICTE-UQ.

21 August 2017