End of the year reflections - introspection

Japanese students Yoshi and Haruka reflect on their nine months spent at ICTE learning English, studying at UQ and their adventures as they explore Australia.

Read the second in the series of blog posts.

What I Learned About Myself

I did not think seriously about myself because I was afraid to find my weakness, so it is difficult for me to consider myself. However, I think it is a good opportunity to do that during studying abroad.

I come up with a lot of my weakness. For example, I tend to hesitate to engage in new activities by myself. I am a passive nature, so I prefer staying my comfortable environment such as staying with the same friends and leading the same lifestyle. However, I cannot do that in Australia because many unexpected things have happened to me again and again. I realized avoiding new things was a waste of time and I lost many chances to improve myself, so these days I try to throw myself into new places and I feel I can gradually overcome this drawback. 

In addition, I am less confident, especially when I express my opinion in front of people. I usually wait until someone says something and sometimes I do not have any idea about a topic. I am too conservative to say anything. Also, I have realized I did not have enough knowledge. In order to overcome this shortcoming, I need to acquire not only English skills but also a wide range of knowledge. I believe it can enable me to be more confident.

Although four months have passed since I came here, I am not satisfied with my English skills yet, but I hope it has improved a little bit... From this week, my school life at UQ has started. I think it will be hard, but I will make every effort to be able to spend a precious time in Australia. I believe in my ability to improve!

I realized I like kangaroos more than Koalas!!

Haruka
Wednesday, 26 July 2017

What I've learned in this 5 months in Australia about me...

Five months have flown like the wind. It is really surprising to me that I have already spent almost a half of study abroad year. At least, I think my English has improved. I hope. This is really a difficult topic for me because I rarely reflect myself, but the most significant thing I realized myself is that I am braver than I thought.

Before I have come to Australia, I was less confident. Still, I am. Every time I start something new I feel awkward and make complaints to my friends (which always make my friends annoyed). Actually, I had made complained to my mother that I did not want to go to Australia before I came to here. Although this study abroad was my choice, I was really afraid of going abroad by myself.

However after I have come to Australia, things were much easier than I thought. Coordinators are really kind, my friends, which I have come with and I made in Australia, always support me and my host family give me great advice. Although I am still awkward to live in foreign country, I can be brave because I know people who can help me. 

Now I have enrolled in the UQ, and going to take an undergraduate course. It must be hard to catch up with local people, but I am not so afraid. I will just do my best.

Que sera sera!

This is a picture taken in Australia. Isn't it beautiful?

Yoshi
Sunday, 23 July 2017

Share your story

Are you a student or former student of ICTE?
Tell us your ICTE experience and inspire others.

Upload your story

17 February 2020