My amazing experience as a General English student

My name is Ko-Chun Lee (John), I am from Taiwan and have studied General English at UQ-ICTE. I am 28 years old and I was a cram school teacher in Taiwan for over two years. I found out about UQ-ICTE through my study counselor in Taiwan and decided to come to Brisbane.

The UQ-ICTE General English course helped me a lot with my English. We have practiced speaking and listening every day. While learning English, our teachers always try to mix us up with people from different cultural backgrounds. One of the challenges I have experienced is that sometimes the speakers in listening materials have a strong accent and this makes it quite hard to understand them. As a result, I simply try to listen and to understand more and more conversations.

The teaching facilities at UQ-ICTE are very useful both in and after class especially the Learning Center. I have borrowed many books to do practice tests and it has been very convenient and helpful.

The UQ St Lucia campus is beautiful and there are so many places for me to study or just relax. I think one of the benefits of learning English on a university campus is that students can gain experience into what university life is like. Additionally, students can share many facilities at a great university.

My best experience in Australia so far is studying at UQ-ICTE. I also participated in a fundraising activity called the Biggest Morning Tea. I have learned so much and made so many friends during this time - it was an amazing experience. I also joined the Chorus at ICTE (Choir) and it has also been very fun and special.

What I have liked most about studying English at UQ-ICTE is generally everything, especially the teachers and how the classes progress. My UQ-ICTE teachers have been great, they are so helpful and fun in class.

I think I have improved a lot not only in English but also with my knowledge of the world.

UQ-ICTE students that organised the 2018 Biggest Morning Tea
UQ-ICTE students that organised the 2018 Biggest Morning Tea for Queensland Cancer Council
14 September 2018