Home Sweet Home- Week 2 and 3 with Junho

Over the next six weeks, we will join scholarship student Junho. Junho is from Brisbane's sister city, Daejeon in Korea​, and was the 2019 winner of a scholarship program that includes:

• Five week's of English language tuition at ICTE
  • Six week's accommodation courtesy of Atira 
  • One week's volunteer work experience with the International team at Brisbane City Council's Lord Mayors office.

Home Sweet Home

I am staying at Atira Student Living, which has modern apartments for students in Brisbane. Fortunately, I was offered a fully-equipped room at the Atira Student Living on Glen Rd which is the closest Atira accommodation to UQ. I see beautiful views of Brisbane every day from my room.

Many Korean people tend to treat everyone in the community the same as family. Therefore, when we talk about a certain group of people to others in Korean, we always express “our” country, “our” family, or “our” school, etc. In Australia, I feel my friends and the staff at my accommodation as my family. Having such cozy and comfortable accommodation is one of the reasons that I settled into Brisbane without any trouble.

Various kinds of activities are organized by the Atira staffs and student residential assistants. On the Friday of my first week, a chicken food truck came downstairs and we had a chicken party night altogether.
The next week, we had a starting-new-semester party on the rooftop of the building. We had delicious BBQ (Do I have to say “barbie” here?) and burgers with a DJ. I met many friends at the party and we sometimes hang out for dinner together!
  
    Last weekend, I went strawberry picking trip with friends from my accommodation. I picked many strawberries by myself and carried them back to Atira, and shared with my friends. Australian strawberries were much bigger than what I have eaten so far. Also, they were very sweet and juicy. It was a great day with beautiful weather of Brisbane and nice friends from Atira.

Strawberry picking trip – Australian strawberry is bigger than my nose!

Week 3

ICTE – Learn Learning, Practice Practices

I am honored I have been provided an invaluable opportunity to study English in Australia. Before arriving here, I was looking forward to testing how much English I really. My life at The University’s Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education is such an unforgettable experience that has changed my understanding of English.

English is seen as an ‘enemy’ to Korean students because it is required for entry into University. Due to the big gap between Eastern and Western culture, and lingual characteristics, studying English has been an unsolved problem in Korean education. However, ICTE has challenged my stereotype toward studying English. ICTE not only helps students learn English but also offers strategic ways to study English. For example, a workshop on critical thinking was very beneficial for me as it taught me strategic stages of learning English. Moreover, materials in ICTE are not boring or hard. I practiced English through various kinds of activities, such as in-group essay writing, role-playing, debates, and vocabulary quizzes. After several weeks, I destroyed the barrier between me and English – I became confident in speaking English with international friends!

Activities – Another class outside the classroom

Participating in activities organized by ICTE has been really fun.  I have made lots of friends from various places by having conversations in Conversation Club. I improved my fluency in English through the club, but more importantly, I improved my ability to pay attention and listen to others carefully.

Chorus is my favorite activities at ICTE! This was my first time learning English songs. In spite of short preparation time, the ICTE Chorus performed “We are Australian” for the Lord Mayor at the Brisbane International Friendship Ceremony at City Hall. I will never forget this moment on stage.

Chorus performance at Brisbane City Hall

One of the most impressive activities organized by ICTE was the Brisbane Highlight Tour. It was a good chance to get informed about famous places in Brisbane. I also got the opportunity to enjoy the time with new friends and take some photos in Southbank Parklands and Botanic Gardens.

Brisbane Highlight Tour at the Botanical Gardens

20 August 2019