From Shenzhen to Brisbane- Week 2 with Jerome

Over the next six weeks, we will join scholarship student Jerome. Jerome is from Brisbane's sister city, Shenzhen in China, and was the 2019 winner of a scholarship program that includes:

• Five weeks of English language tuition at ICTE
  • Six weeks free accommodation courtesy of Student One in the Brisbane CBD
  • One week's volunteer work experience with the International team at Brisbane City Council's Lord Mayors office.

Jerome writes about his second week at The University of Queensland and his Brisbane experience so far.

Unlike most of my classmates who are staying with homestay families, I am living in the city which is 15minutes to the St Lucia campus. I usually get up at 6:45 a.m. and make myself breakfast.

There are lots of ways for me to commute to UQ. Normally I’ll take the 412 bus at Roma Street, which is near the Brisbane City Hall, and sometimes I take the 66 bus from King George Square Station.

However, if I want a scenic route I take the CityCat Ferry, which takes about 25mins to the UQ Lakes stop. The public transportation fee in Brisbane is determined by departure and terminal location instead of the mode of transport, which is quite different from our system in China.

A CityCat Ferry terminal

My class is in the morning from 8:15 am to 12:45 pm. During class, students are allowed to have regular breaks for 10minutes if they need it. The teachers in ICTE are very nice and patient. I also met some new friends from other countries like Japan and South Korea.

On the weekend, my new friends and I visited the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. It was great to see all the wonderful Australian animals at the zoo. I felt so lucky to have a close encounter with koala, kangaroo and other Aussie animals. 

Jerome and a kangaroo taking a selfie!

What impressed me most is how these animals lived in harmony the zoo visitors. Lone Pine Sanctuary reminds me of the importance of protecting wildlife.

Jerome hand-feeding a kangaroo
21 August 2019