CLIL was the best personal development program that I attended since I became a professor

The University of Queensland’s (UQ) Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education (ICTE) is pleased to be working collaboratively with São Paulo State University (UNESP) in the delivery of a Content & Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) plus EMI (English as a Medium of Instruction) program in 2020.

The ICTE CLIL plus EMI program is specifically designed to enhance the application of CLIL methodology to tertiary contexts and support the development of appropriate teaching techniques and strategies. This program also provides a strong focus on developing appropriate English language skills for teaching content in tertiary institutions that utilise English as a Medium of Instruction.

Danielle Pedrolli attended the CLIL Program delivered by ICTE at UNESP in 2019. Recently, Danielle has travelled to UQ St Lucia to continue her research in Nanotechnology. Danielle reflects on her experience in the CLIL program and how it has shaped her teachings in lectures and courses back in Brazil.

"I am Danielle Pedrolli, Assistant Professor at UNESP (Araraquara, Brazil). I teach Genetics and Biochemistry of Microorganisms at the undergrad level and Synthetic Biology at the Post-graduate level. I also lead the Synthetic Biology research group at UNESP. My research focuses on the genetic engineering of non-pathogenic microorganisms for the conversion of sugar into industrially-useful compounds, such as food additives, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals.

I attended the CLIL Program delivered by Laura Fairbrother at UNESP campus Araraquara in February 2019. CLIL was the best personal development program that I attended since I became a professor at UNESP. Before CLIL, I have never been confident enough to give lectures in English, because I was afraid language would be an unnecessary barrier for the students to learn the technical content of the courses. The program was really effective in demonstrating how I can use the content of my lectures to help my students improve their language skills. And that also applies to my lectures in Portuguese, for teaching the specific technical language. Moreover, I have learned how to prepare and apply several interactive activities in the classroom.

I have been integrating my CLIL learnings gradually into my courses. I started introducing the interactive activities into my courses in Portuguese. Then, I had some of these activities executed in English. And finally, this semester I will give for the first time all post-graduate lectures in English.

Danielle at UQ's AIBN building

The aim of my recent visit to UQ's Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (AIBN) is to establish a collaboration between my research group and Prof. Claudia Vickers’ group. Our partnership will include research activities to be developed in both Universities, and exchange of students. UNESP and UQ have strengthened their partnership in recent years, and together with TUM (Munich, Germany) are the leader Universities of the Global Bioeconomy Alliance. Therefore, UQ has become a strategic partner for UNESP both for research and teaching.

I would say CLIL is a great opportunity to improve communication skills that can be used to give effective lectures, seminars, and workshops no matter the language or the content. I certainly recommend it to all my colleagues."

ICTE can design and deliver programs customised for tertiary-level educators and individuals or for institutions and international universities. ICTE has extensive experience and expertise developing and delivering CLIL training programs and have assisted educators from more than 19 universities and government agency partners in Brazil, China, Ecuador, France, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam develop skills to teach academic content in English. Learn more

24 April 2020