Help looking for work

Workshops to help you write a resume and look for work are held frequently - keep an eye on activites for details.

We recommend that you create a profile on LinkedIn for job notifications, to research employers and to network with other students.

Jobsearch sites

  • Global Grad for jobs for UQ international students
  • Gumtree for casual, local work
  • Seek for professional work in Australia.

Student work conditions and rights

Student Visa holders are allowed to work in Australia but hours are limited to part-time work during teaching periods.

Find out more about:


To be able to work in Australia, you must have a Tax File Number.  Apply online for a Tax File Number.

Keep your Tax File Number and other identity details safe.  Only certain people and organisations can ask for your Tax File Number including the Tax Office, your employer after you start work, your bank, Centrelink (the Australian social security department) and your superannuation fund.

    Tax and superannuation refunds

    You can claim a refund for superannuation money paid by your Australian employer when you permanently depart Australia.  Find out more about superannuation payments and tax refunds.