Become a Homestay Host
Are you interested in an international experience without getting on a plane?
Become a Homestay Host with ICTE-UQ to:
- welcome students from all over the world into your home and develop life-long friendships
- introduce international students to life in Brisbane
- help students to discover other cultures
- give your family the opportunity to learn about the cultures of the students who stay with you
- learn more about Australian culture through sharing it and experiencing it from a different perspective.
Homestay Hosts provide their student with a feeling of being part of a family through engagement and openness at meal times, chatting about their day, and including them in activities that help improve their English skills. Homestay Hosts provide:
- a pleasant home environment
- concern for their welfare.
- breakfast and dinner daily, as well as lunch on weekends.
- a furnished bedroom with a desk and clean linen provided weekly.
We appreciate the care and consideration that our Homestay families provide to ICTE-UQ students and program participants.
We like the experience to be fun and rewarding for you, and we hope that the cultural exchange will ultimately enrich your own family's life.
Benefits of hosting for ICTE-UQ
- A diverse range of students from Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, France, Germany, Spain, Iran, Italy and Thailand
- Short stay programs – Typically 5 or 10 weeks in single accommodation
- Four-day programs – host up to 4 students in twin share accommodation, daily drop off and collection from Toowong required
- Individual (ELICOS) programs – host up to 45 weeks or longer in single accommodation
- Quarterly homestay events to engage, learn and network with other homestay hosts, ICTE-UQ team members and students.
- Quarterly Homestay newsletters
- 24/7 emergency support from our Homestay team
- Homestay Facebook Group to engage and find support with other families while staying up to date
4-day programs: $48 per night, per student.
Five weeks +: $250 per week, per student.
Homestay Host requirements
To be eligible to host, you must:
- live near public transport and within 60 minutes of The University of Queensland, St Lucia
- be an English speaking household
- provide nutritious meals for Homestay students
- have Wi-Fi in your home.
More information and how to apply
Find out more about becoming a Homestay Host and get the application form:
Desirée van Aswegen or Jane Clarke
Room 525, Sir Llew Edwards Building
Tel: +61 7 3346 6737 / +61 7 3346 6738
Office hours: 8.00am – 6.00pm