About Homestay accommodation
Homestay accommodation is a great way to learn about Australian culture and to practise English in a safe, friendly and relaxed environment. We recommend that all our students and program participants choose to stay in homestay accommodation for at least the first 5 weeks of their course or program.
Homestay accommodation includes:
- private bedroom with bed, desk, chair and wardrobe
- access to all family areas of the home
- breakfast and dinner on weekdays
- breakfast, lunch and dinner on weekends
- basic internet access (restrictions such as no large downloads can apply).
Homes are typically located within 10 kilometres of the UQ St Lucia campus. Transport to and from the campus is usually by bus, train or express river catamaran (CityCat) and on average takes between thirty minutes to one hour.
ICTE-UQ visits all families in their home before they are accepted as hosts and students/program participants are matched with their homestay family by the Institute’s experienced Accommodation Officers.
Homestay is available for a minimum of 5 weeks. Students can move in on the Saturday or Sunday before their course commences.
Find out more about Homestay - get our Homestay guide for students.
Homestay placement fee
Weekly homestay Fee
Important information about homestay fees
- Homestay is available for a minimum booking period of five weeks. Refunds will not be considered for early departure except in exceptional circumstances.
- All fees must be paid in full and in advance.
- All payments for homestay accommodation must be made directly to ICTE-UQ. To ensure that accurate records are kept, payments between students/program participants and homestay families are not permitted.
- The weekly homestay fee does not include telephone charges. Students are required to pay their homestay families directly for any homestay telephone services they use.
- Additional charges to extend your homestay booking, and in some cases move homestay family may apply.
Book with course enrolment
Where possible homestay accommodation should be booked with your course enrolment. A homestay application section is included in the application form.
If you decide to book homestay accommodation after you have already enrolled in your course or program, you can apply using the separate Homestay Application Form.
If you plan to book homestay accommodation after you arrive in Australia please note that it can take up to two weeks to place you with a homestay family.
Flight arrival details should be supplied when booking homestay (if they are available) or as soon as they are confirmed. It is important that you advise the ICTE-UQ Accommodation Office of your flight number and arrival time so that they can let your homestay family know when to expect you and book your airport reception service (if you have asked for this).
When will I receive information about my homestay family?
Information about your homestay family including name, address, family members living in the home, interests and contact details will be sent to you before you start your course or program.
Important information about booking homestay
- Homestay check-in is available on the Saturday or Sunday prior to course commencement.
- If you arrive on a flight after 8pm you will need to make temporary accommodation arrangements for the night of your arrival and check in to homestay the following day. Find information about short-tem accommodation options.
- Homestay accommodation is only available while you are enrolled in an ICTE-UQ course or program.