Health services on campus

At UQ St Lucia, you can access a doctor, a pharmacy (chemist) and get first aid anytime from our security staff through one phone number.  Our preferred Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provider also visits UQ St Lucia every week to help students make claims.

Health insurance

Different insurance arrangements apply depending on your visa.

  • Student visa holders - if you are coming to Australia on a Student Visa, you must purchase OSHC (unless you are from Sweden or Norway). 
  • Non-student visa holders - if you are studying on a Visitor, Tourist Visa, Working Holiday or other visa, you are recommended to purchase private health and travel insurance.   

OSHC for Student Visa holders

We can arrange OSHC on your behalf with our preferred provider, Allianz Global Assistance, if you are on a Student Visa. Find out more about the Overseas Student Health Cover provided by Allianz Global Assistance.

Please note: OSHC provides basic insurance cover for medical and hospital care costs. It does not cover:
  • you while travelling to and from Australia
  • your personal belongings for the duration of your stay
  • dental or optometry services

OSHC may also not cover you for a pre-existing condition.

Students with OSHC are recommended to purchase private travel insurance separately to cover their journey to and from Australia, and to cover belongings.