Australian health insurance requirements

If you are coming to Australia on a Student Visa, you must purchase OSHC (unless you are from Sweden or Norway).  We can arrange OSHC for Student Visa holders with our preferred provider, Allianz Care Australia. 

If you are studying on a Visitor, Tourist Visa, Working Holiday or other visa, you are recommended to purchase your own private health and travel insurance.   

Insurance tips

OSHC provides basic insurance cover for medical and hospital care costs. It does not cover:

  • you while travelling to and from Australia
  • your personal belongings for the duration of your stay
  • dental or optometry services

OSHC may also not cover you for a pre-existing condition.

Students with OSHC are recommended to purchase private travel insurance separately to cover their journey to and from Australia, and to cover belongings.

Allianz cover, fees and services

Allianz cover

We can organise OSHC on your behalf with our preferred provider Overseas Student Health Cover by Allianz Care Australia. If you are bringing your family to Australia you must advise ICTE to purchase a family policy on your behalf.

The cover provides:

  • 24-hour emergency assistance and medical advice
  • medical services provided by doctors (GP Services)
  • medical services such as pathology and radiology
  • some prescription medicines
  • ambulance services.

Health cover is provided on a calendar month basis. Your policy will generally start on the first day of the month in which you commence your course. Please refer to your policy dates listed on your CoE. Student visa holders must maintain OSHC for the duration of their stay in Australia. Students are not permitted to arrive in Australia before their OSHC begins. If you enter Australia before your policy commences you will be in breach of your student visa conditions.

There is a 12-month waiting period for coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. Find out what is and what is not covered by Overseas Student Health Cover by Allianz Care Australia.

Top of page


After receiving your application, ICTE will calculate the exact period you will require Overseas Student Health Cover provided by Allianz Care Australia and include the fees in your Offer Letter.

Enrolment Period

Student only cover
Dual Family cover*
Multi Family cover+
10 weeks $275 $1077 $1558
15 weeks $330  $1292 $1870
20 weeks $423 $1653 $2393
25 weeks $469 $1834 $2654
30 weeks $516 $2014 $2915
35 weeks $663 $2566 $3718
40 weeks $717 $2756 $3999
45 weeks $880 $3328 $4840

* Dual Family Cover = 1 student + 1 adult partner (spouse or de-facto) OR 1 student + 1 or more children
+ Multi Family Cover = 1 student + 1 adult partner (spouse or de-facto) + 1 or more children

These figures are based on the number of weeks per course. In some cases, your Student Visa duration may be longer to allow for extra session breaks. 

Top of page


If you have requested that ICTE or the university arrange your OSHC, you will receive an email from Allianz Care Australia with information on how to log into your OSHC account through the Allianz GCare Australia website. You will need your OSHC policy number which can be found on your CoE.

Once you’ve logged into your account you can order your OSHC card or download the ‘Allianz MyHealth’ app’ on your mobile phone. The ‘Allianz MyHealth’ app or website can be used to:

  • access your e-membership card
  • update your personal details, including passport number and nationality
  • submit a claim
  • locate the nearest direct-billing doctor using your phone’s GPS
  • find the number for our 24-hour helpline or our other contact details
  • translate medical terms.

Visit Overseas Student Health Cover by Allianz Care Australia for further information.

Personal help with claims

An Allianz representative visits the UQ campus each week to help students with enquiries and claims.

Top of page