CLIL Higher Education is an intensive two-week program held in February and August every year at UQ St Lucia. Enrolment is open to individuals and small groups.
The program is designed exclusively for educators at tertiary levels who teach, or want to teach, curriculum using English as the medium of instruction.
CLIL-HEd will provide you with opportunities to enhance your ability to teach academic course content in English. It will support you to:
- develop an increased awareness of the language demands of your academic subject materials
- develop teaching materials that engage learners and support their content and language learning
- use practical skills and techniques to effectively manage the learning process
- build an awareness of the principles of best practice in CLIL.
The CLIL-HEd program focuses on the three main areas of teaching and learning: content, language and cognitive skills. It includes a range of practical ideas for teaching including:
- motivating learners
- adapting texts
- selecting and designing interactive tasks
- sequencing content in lectures and lessons
- suporting students' language development and output
- developing students cognitive and critical thinking skills.
You will participate in practical workshops that will enable you to apply strategies presented during the program to your own teaching contexts, using materials from your own curriculum. You will need to bring some of your current teaching material with you for the workshops.
Participants are recommended to have a Common European Framework of Reference English language proficiency of B2 or above. Language teachers should consider enrolling in ICTE-UQ's Joint English & methodology for TESOL Purposes (JEMTP) program.
Dates and fees
This course is run twice per year, at the beginning of the year and mid-year. Get the latest dates and fees.