Home Sweet Home- Week 4 and 5 with Junho

Over the next six weeks, we will join scholarship student Junho. Junho is from Brisbane's sister city, Daejeon in Korea​, and was the 2019 winner of a scholarship program that includes:

• Five week's of English language tuition at ICTE
  • Six week's accommodation courtesy of Atira 
  • One week's volunteer work experience with the International team at Brisbane City Council's Lord Mayors office

Week 4

The University of Queensland’s Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education (ICTE) is located in St Lucia. I have been able to experience learning at one of the highest-ranked universities. The University of Queensland (UQ) is not only a facility for higher education but also a community hub for Brisbane students. UQ campus helps “create change”.

The campus looks like a park. I always take a walk around the UQ Lakes after lunch. There are many cute animals living on the campus. In addition, UQ has lots of beautiful buildings. As the campus has a long history, I can see lots of antique and delicate designs of the buildings. I feel like I am studying in Hogwarts.

I was surprised by how many museums UQ has on campus, this was my first time seeing a museum on a university campus. I went to the Physics museum on campus. Since I study Nuclear and Quantum Engineering, modern physics is one of my academic interests. I could see historical experimental equipment used by UQ students. I was excited to see this equipment as I had only heard about it. UQ campus is almost like a museum itself. I also had the opportunity to visit the Modern Art gallery, Geology Museum, and the Anthropology Museum.

I went to UQ’s NAIDOC Festival this week. It is a festival for Aboriginal culture and music. Since I study science and technology, this kind of cultural festival is not common to me. I really enjoyed the festival with my classmates. The highlight of the festival is making digeridoo by myself! I realized that pursuing cultural diversity is another great aspect of UQ.

UQ NAIDOC Week

Week 5

This is my last week at ICTE. I had a great experience at ICTE over the last five weeks. I am sad I have to say goodbye to ICTE and my friends, but I am also looking forward to having another great opportunity in the Lord Mayor’s office next week. In short, I think Brisbane is the city of education. Infrastructure, system, culture is all centred on students and the next generation. I could see the future, hope, and creativity in many places in Brisbane.

There was always something to do in Brisbane and I was never bored. One of my favourite Brisbane events was the International Food Festival. I didn’t have to travel abroad, because I had tons of food from diverse cultures! I realized Brisbane is a global city.

Brisbane is also a city of museums. I have seen so many museums! I hadn’t been interested in art before I visited the Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art. I could see how other people think and see the world. I was surprised at how many people, from young to old, visited the museums.

Queensland Gallery of Modern Art

I also visited the Queensland Museum to see the exhibition “NASA – Human Adventure”. I was interested as a student who studies science and technology policies. I was surprised at how well-designed the exhibition was for disabled people. I could see how Brisbane is always trying to be a more inclusive city.

Brisbane Botanical Gardens

I saw lots of public spaces in Brisbane, including the Botanic Gardens, Southbank Parklands, etc. During my stay in Brisbane, I enjoyed my leisure time with beautiful skies in those spaces. One of my favourites was State Library in Southbank. Reading books and discussing with my friends whilst looking at the peaceful Brisbane River was one of my unforgettable experiences in Brisbane.

10 September 2019