English for Academic Purposes
Prepare for success in academic study and the IELTS test.
EAP develops academic language as well as study and research skills, such as attending lectures, note-taking, writing extended essays, reading academic texts, giving presentations and participating in group discussions.
I would certainly recommend studying at ICTE-UQ to other students. My experiences here have been extraordinarily good both academically and personally - Lyria, Burundi
What will you learn?
EAP will enable you to:
- express facts, ideas and opinions in writing, using correct and appropriate vocabulary, grammatical structures and other features of academic writing
- apply a range of reading skills in order to understand and respond to a variety of written texts
- speak clearly and confidently
- understand spoken English in conversations, discussions, lectures and to take notes
- use a range of study skills including research skills, in order to gather, combine and critically examine information and ideas from different sources
- apply the skills and language studied to the IELTS test.
Students can complete an IELTS test towards the end of their EAP course to demonstrate that they meet the English language proficiency requirements for UQ degree program entry.
What will you do?
Course materials and assessment reflect the type of activities and learning environment that you may experience in a degree or academic study program.
- Integrated Academic Skills: a variety of texts are used to develop reading and comprehension skills. Written work develops your ability to construct complex sentences, paragraphs and essays. Discussions improve spoken fluency, confidence and range of language.
- IELTS Preparation: practise all areas of the IELTS test, including test-taking strategies and timed practise.
Bring your own device
You are encouraged to bring your own device to class to assist with studies (laptop or tablet).
|IELTS Preparation: Speaking||Integrated Academic Skills||IELTS reading||Integrated Academic Skills||Integrated Academic Skills|
|IELTS listening||Integrated Academic Skills||IELTS writing||Integrated Academic Skills||Integrated Academic Skills|
Two entry points: IELTS 5.0 or 5.5 or similar. Read more.
5, 10, 20 or 30 weeks
20 hours face-to-face classes and five hours of SKILL-UP directed self-access learning each week.
Fees and dates
Around $400 per week for tuition. Read more.
Testing every 5 weeks plus assignments. Read more.