Social responsibility and mining in Malaysia
The provision of professional and contract management services for the Vale Malaysia Minerals Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Program in Malaysia is a long-term commitment to contribute to the sustainable development of Vale’s neighbour communities in Manjung by supporting livelihoods and socio-environmental outcomes.
Project activities align with the Vale Community Development Plan (2014) and form two distinct but complementary sets of activities, undertaken by two divisions of The University of Queensland (UQ) – UQID and the Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining.
- Implementation services for Vale in Malaysia’s Corporate Social Responsibility Program:
- advice and support for Vale in Malaysia’s key partnership and multi-stakeholder collaborations
- monitoring, evaluation, reporting, and assessment of social change and CSR program outcomes
- documentation of Vale in Malaysia’s social investment process from socio-economic diagnosis through to implementation
- advisory support to the Vale in Malaysia CSR team on CSR investment programs.
- Governance services for Vale in Malaysia’s Multi-Year Community Development Plan:
- project management for the Vale in Malaysia Community Development Plan including contract and financial management, and compliance services
- support and capacity building for a local institution to progressively take over project management services.